Friday, 28 August 2020

What Are You Afraid Of?

What are you afraid of? I get that asked a lot and on a conscious level that is quite a question, as I have been afraid of heights and afraid of open water. How did I get over it? Quite simply I had to push myself through the fear factor. 

I was on holiday by myself and was looking to do parasailing, but everyday I would talk myself out of doing it because I was thinking along the lines of "What if the rope snaps?" "What if I can't swim?".  I know some of you may well be on that thought pattern with me. 

I got to the penultimate day of the holiday and something in my head said "just do it!" I was a bit shocked at myself and I just got out of the comfort zone and suddenly I am on a boat going out to sea about to do something that scared me. 



I won't lie, even on the boat I am thinking about what I had committed to, and that I could just not do it. To make it worse I was also in the second place I hated to be. But I knew that I would kick myself if I did not do it after paying all the money for the experience, so when it came to who was going to go first, I raised my hand and before I knew I was attached to all the equipment and in the air.

What I can tell you is that going through that fear factor and suddenly being up in the air was an amazing experience, and it was so blissful and I did not want it to end. 

Every holiday I go on now, I challenge myself to try something that would put me out of my comfort zone. Last year I was in Spain and my girlfriend and I went to do some open sea snorkeling, and I knew it was going to test me. At first I was only happy to be around the boat, I wanted the safety net of being able to get out if I did not feel comfortable. I also remember on that trip there was a lady who would not get off the boat, and I looked at her thinking firstly, I understand your thinking right now, but also at the same time thinking I cannot waste an opportunity. 

So I started to venture away from the boat and I started to take in water, which can lead to panic but the problem was I had ventured too far from the boat to be rescued so I had a choice to make, either to panic and make the situation worse, or work out how to breathe so that I could stop taking in water. I chose the latter option, and I am so glad I did because I was absolutely buzzing afterwards, because I had firstly overcome another fear, but also because to see some really beautiful sights that I would not have seen if I had just stayed on the boat. 

So the lesson is this, push through the fear and do it anyway, because excitement and exhilaration is on the other side of fear. 



No comments:

Post a Comment