Wednesday, 1 July 2026

Why Am I Not Losing Weight In A Calorie Deficit?

 

You've reduced your calories. You're exercising more. You're doing everything you've been told to do, yet the scales haven't moved, or they move for a week or two before coming to a complete standstill.

If that sounds familiar, you're certainly not alone. It's one of the most common questions I hear from people before they start working with me, and it's also one of the most searched questions online.

The frustrating part is that many people immediately assume they're the problem. They think they're not disciplined enough, they don't want it enough, or they're simply destined to struggle with their weight.

From my own experience, both personally and professionally, I don't believe that's usually the case.

What Is A Calorie Deficit And Why Doesn't It Always Work?

When I first qualified as a personal trainer, I was taught exactly what most fitness professionals are still taught today. If someone wanted to lose weight, the answer was simple: create a calorie deficit by eating less and moving more.

On paper, that makes perfect sense.

If you consume fewer calories than your body uses, you should lose weight.

The problem is that whilst the principle is correct, it doesn't tell the whole story.

I followed this advice myself and coached clients in exactly the same way. For some people it worked reasonably well, but for many others it became an endless cycle of eating less, exercising more, feeling hungry, becoming frustrated and eventually giving up.

Looking back, I wasn't asking the right question.

Instead of asking, "How do I create a bigger calorie deficit?" I should have been asking, "How do I create a calorie deficit that someone can actually sustain?"

That changed everything.

Why Am I Eating Less But Still Not Losing Weight?

One of the biggest misconceptions is that a calorie is just a calorie.

Whilst calories absolutely matter, the type of food you eat influences far more than just the number displayed on a food label.

When people are told to reduce calories, they often look at fat first because it contains more calories per gram than protein or carbohydrates. The problem is that many healthy fats also help keep you feeling full and satisfied.

When those foods disappear, people often find themselves feeling hungry much sooner. Hunger leads to snacking, snacking makes it harder to stay in a calorie deficit, and suddenly they feel like they've failed.

The reality is that the strategy has failed them.

On top of that, calorie counting can become exhausting. Every meal needs logging, every snack needs tracking and every social occasion becomes another mathematical equation. For some people this works, but for many it becomes stressful, time-consuming and simply unrealistic to maintain over the long term.

When progress slows, they respond by eating even less or doing even more cardio.

That isn't a sustainable solution.

Why Processed Carbohydrates Can Make Weight Loss Harder

This isn't about saying carbohydrates are bad.

Far from it.

The issue is that many people base their diet around heavily processed carbohydrates such as white bread, white pasta, sugary cereals and highly processed snacks.

For many people, these foods make it harder to stay satisfied, can contribute to energy crashes and often leave them searching for another snack a couple of hours later.

One of the simplest changes I make with new clients isn't removing carbohydrates altogether. It's improving the quality of them.

That means making simple swaps such as:

  • Wholemeal bread instead of white bread.

  • Wholewheat pasta instead of white pasta.

  • Brown rice instead of white rice.

  • More vegetables alongside meals.

These changes improve nutrient intake, help many people feel fuller for longer and make it much easier to remain consistent without constantly feeling deprived.

Fat Loss Vs Weight Loss: Why They're Not The Same Thing

This is one of the biggest misunderstandings in the fitness industry.

People celebrate weight loss without asking what they've actually lost.

Body weight isn't made up of just body fat.

It also includes water, muscle, glycogen and other tissues.

Research has shown that dieting alone can result in a significant proportion of the weight lost coming from lean body tissue rather than body fat. Depending on the individual and the approach taken, this can vary considerably.

That isn't what we want.

My goal has never been helping people lose as much weight as possible.

My goal is helping people lose as much body fat as possible whilst maintaining lean muscle.

That's a very different objective and it completely changes how I coach.

How Protein Helps You Lose Fat Without Losing Muscle

Every recommendation I make has to support three simple principles.

Firstly, it should help maximise muscle maintenance and growth.

Secondly, it should help keep someone satisfied so they're far less likely to snack between meals.

Thirdly, it should support the body's ability to use stored body fat more effectively.

This is why protein plays such an important role.

Combined with strength training, adequate protein helps maintain lean muscle whilst you're losing weight. It also keeps you fuller for longer, making it much easier to stay consistent without relying purely on willpower.

That's a much more enjoyable way to lose weight than constantly feeling hungry.

Why Sleep And Stress Affect Weight Loss More Than You Think

Nutrition doesn't exist in isolation.

If you're sleeping poorly, your recovery suffers. Your energy drops, your training performance declines and you're far more likely to reach for convenient, highly processed foods simply because you're tired.

Many people then rely on more caffeine to get through the day, which can further affect sleep that night, creating a cycle that's difficult to break.

Stress has a similar effect.

When life becomes overwhelming, most people don't suddenly crave grilled chicken and vegetables. They reach for convenience because it's quick, easy and comforting.

That's why I never look at nutrition on its own. Sleep, stress, recovery and exercise all influence your ability to lose body fat.

Why I Stopped Teaching "Eat Less, Move More"

The biggest turning point in my career came when I started working alongside Callum, an elite sports nutritionist.

He challenged many of the things I'd been taught as a newly qualified trainer and encouraged me to look beyond simply creating a calorie deficit.

Instead, we focused on food quality, protein intake, processed carbohydrates, sleep, recovery, strength training and building a strategy that actually fitted someone's lifestyle.

I applied those principles to myself first.

Not only did I lose weight, but for the first time I found an approach that I could genuinely sustain without constantly feeling hungry or thinking about food.

I then began coaching clients in exactly the same way.

Clients like Craig, who lost over two stone, and Charlotte, who lost three stone in three and a half months despite enjoying a three-week holiday, didn't succeed because they starved themselves.

They succeeded because they followed a strategy that worked with their lifestyle rather than against it.

How I Help Clients Lose Body Fat Without Feeling Miserable

One of the biggest differences in my coaching is that I don't start by asking clients to obsessively count every calorie or every gram of food.

Instead, I focus on building habits that naturally create a calorie deficit without making them feel like they're permanently dieting.

We improve food quality.

We prioritise protein.

We reduce heavily processed carbohydrates.

We strength train with purpose.

We improve sleep.

We manage stress.

The result is a strategy that's realistic enough to continue long after the initial excitement has disappeared.

As I often say to clients:

"The best calorie deficit isn't the biggest one. It's the one you can sustain long enough to lose body fat without making yourself miserable."

Final Thoughts

If you've been asking yourself, "Why am I not losing weight in a calorie deficit?", I want you to consider something.

Maybe the problem isn't that you've failed.

Maybe you've simply been given an incomplete strategy.

A calorie deficit still matters, but it's only one piece of the puzzle. The quality of your nutrition, the amount of protein you're eating, the exercise you enjoy, your sleep, your stress levels and your ability to stay consistent all play a significant role in whether your plan succeeds or fails.

If your current approach leaves you constantly hungry, exhausted and relying on willpower every day, it might be time to stop asking how you can eat less and start asking how you can eat better.

If you'd like to learn more about sustainable weight loss, improving your nutrition and building a healthier lifestyle that actually works in the real world, visit www.jbryantcoaching.com. You'll find more articles, practical resources and information about how I help people lose body fat without making themselves miserable.

No comments:

Post a Comment