When people ask for the best weight loss plan, they often expect a particular diet, exercise programme or calorie target. In reality, the best plan is the one that fits your lifestyle, preferences, responsibilities and starting point well enough for you to follow it consistently.
Imagine that you and your friend Jane start the same plan. A few weeks later, Jane is losing weight and feeling better, while you are hungry, stressed and struggling to maintain the routine.
It is easy to assume that Jane has more willpower, but her life may simply suit the plan better. She may have more time to cook, fewer family commitments, a predictable working pattern or a genuine enjoyment of the exercise involved. Her results prove that the plan works for Jane, not that it is automatically right for you.
Successful weight loss is not about finding the perfect plan. It is about finding the right plan for you.
What Should I Do If I Have Tried Everything To Lose Weight?
One of the most common things people tell me is, “I have tried everything, but nothing works.”
The honest answer is that this is usually a story they have started to believe rather than a completely accurate description. They may have tried one approach that did not work, followed by another that also failed to last. After enough frustration, they begin to assume that every future attempt will end the same way.
I first heard Tony Robbins make the point that if someone had genuinely tried every possible route to a result, they would eventually have found a solution. Most people have tried only a small number of methods, often without enough personalisation or support to understand why those methods became difficult.
A more useful question is not, “Why can’t I lose weight?” It is, “Why did those particular approaches not work for me?” The answer may involve sleep, stress, work, family responsibilities, food preferences or unrealistic expectations. Once you understand the real obstacle, you can choose a better starting point.
Why Do Most Weight Loss Plans Fail?
Many weight loss plans fail because they ask the person to fit around the programme instead of building the programme around the person.
Someone may copy an influencer’s diet, download a generic meal plan or follow the same routine as a friend. They are then expected to train several times a week, prepare every meal from scratch, count every calorie and avoid foods they enjoy. That might be possible briefly, but it often becomes another source of pressure.
The plan begins to fall apart when work becomes busy, childcare changes or sleep is disrupted. The person assumes they have failed, when the plan may simply have been too rigid to survive normal life.
I have seen this with clients such as Craig and Charlotte. Both achieved excellent results, but they are different people with different circumstances and challenges. Giving them identical plans would not have made sense. The destination may have been similar, but we needed to find the right road for each of them.
A sustainable plan should challenge you while remaining flexible enough to cope with real life. If it only works when every day goes perfectly, it is not a particularly effective long-term plan.
How Do You Create A Personalised Weight Loss Plan?
Before making a recommendation, I want to understand the person I am coaching. I cannot call a plan personalised if I know very little about the individual expected to follow it.
I start by asking honest questions about sleep and stress. How much sleep are they getting? How demanding is work or family life? Poor sleep and high stress can influence hunger, energy, recovery, food choices and the capacity someone has available for change.
I also ask clients to complete a simple three-day food diary. The purpose is not to judge what they eat. It gives me a realistic picture of their starting point, including meal timing, food quality, snacking and drinks.
We then discuss their job, working pattern, family life and responsibilities. I want to know whether they work shifts, have children, travel regularly or have very little control over their schedule. I also want to understand what they have tried before and what made those attempts difficult to maintain.
Only then do we decide on the first step. For one person, it may be improving food quality. For another, it may be sleeping better, moving more, reducing stress or creating more structure around meals. There is no universal place to start because every person brings a different life and set of challenges.
Do I Need To Count Calories To Lose Weight?
Calorie counting can be useful, but it is not the only way to make progress.
Some people enjoy tracking data and like clear targets. For them, calorie or macronutrient tracking can provide useful structure and accountability.
Others find tracking stressful, repetitive or difficult to sustain. Asking them to repeat the same method without addressing why it failed is unlikely to create a different result.
If someone does not want to count calories, we can still improve meal structure, food quality, protein intake, appetite control and everyday habits. The aim is not to force everyone to use the same tool. It is to choose the tool that helps that person make consistent progress.
I do not coach a method and then try to squeeze the person into it. I start with the person and select the methods that suit them.
What Is The Best Exercise For Weight Loss?
The best exercise is not simply the activity that burns the most calories in one session. It is an activity that supports your goals and gives you a realistic chance of staying active consistently.
If someone loves the gym, we should maximise that interest. If they would rather play basketball and already enjoy it regularly, there is little value in replacing it with a gym routine they dislike.
For someone who currently does very little activity, the right starting point may be a daily step target. If walking uphill leaves them breathless, the goal might be practising that hill until their fitness and confidence improve. It may sound simple, but it is relevant to their life and gives them a meaningful way to measure progress.
Personalisation does not mean avoiding challenge. It means choosing the right challenge for the right person. An activity you repeat consistently will usually achieve more than the theoretically perfect programme you abandon after two weeks.
How Do I Know Whether My Weight Loss Plan Is Working?
The scales can provide useful information, but they cannot tell the full story.
A successful plan may improve your energy, sleep, fitness, strength, confidence and clothing size. It may help you make better food choices and recover from disrupted routines without treating one difficult day as a reason to give up.
The number on the scales can change because of water, food and other short-term factors. It should be treated as one measurement among several rather than the only definition of success.
After six months, I want clients to feel grateful for their results, but I also want the transformation to extend beyond their body. I want them to understand their choices, adapt when life changes and feel less dependent on me for the fundamentals.
That may sound like an unusual business goal, but it means I have done my job properly. Coaching should create education, confidence and independence rather than permanent reliance on a rigid plan.
How Do I Find The Right Weight Loss Plan For Me?
Start by stopping the comparison with other people. Their results may inspire you, but their plan does not automatically belong in your life.
Look honestly at your working pattern, family responsibilities, sleep, stress, food preferences, exercise history and previous attempts. Ask why earlier plans became difficult to maintain and what would need to change for your next approach to feel more realistic.
The right plan should provide enough structure to create progress while remaining flexible enough to survive ordinary life. It should help you learn about yourself, build confidence and make consistent improvements rather than demanding perfection.
You do not need Jane’s plan simply because it worked for Jane. You need to find the road that works for you.
If you are tired of generic weight loss plans and want an approach built around your lifestyle, preferences and goals, book your free Connect Call. We can discuss where you are now, why previous approaches have not lasted and what your next right step could be.
No comments:
Post a Comment