This week, I've noticed that my energy levels haven't quite been where they normally are. My sleep hasn't been as good, I've felt less productive during the day, and even my training has required a little more thought than usual. Judging by the conversations I've had this week, I'm certainly not the only one.
Clients have been telling me they're struggling with headaches, dehydration, disrupted sleep and lower energy levels. Others have found it harder to motivate themselves to exercise or simply haven't felt as productive at work as they normally would. If you've felt the same way this week, there's a good chance you're not imagining it and there's probably nothing wrong with you either.
What's interesting is how quickly people become frustrated with themselves when this happens. They look at their to-do list, realise they haven't achieved as much as they expected, miss a workout, or feel more tired than normal and immediately assume they're becoming lazy, losing motivation or falling off track.
The reality is often much simpler than that.
It's been hot, and whether we realise it or not, our bodies have been working harder all week as a result.
Why The Heat Affects Your Energy Levels
One thing that many people don't realise is that your body has been working overtime this week, even if you've spent most of your time sitting behind a desk.
When temperatures rise, your body has to regulate its internal temperature more aggressively. You sweat more, lose more fluids and place additional stress on your system. If you're not replacing those fluids properly, it can affect concentration, mood, physical performance and overall energy levels.
The challenge is that these effects often creep up on people. They don't necessarily feel dehydrated, but they notice headaches, brain fog, lower productivity and reduced motivation to exercise. They assume they need more caffeine, when often what they need is more water and better recovery.
Sleep can also take a hit. If your bedroom is warmer than usual, you may find yourself waking up more frequently or simply not feeling as refreshed when you get up in the morning. When poor sleep combines with dehydration, it's hardly surprising that many people have felt drained this week.
The Biggest Mistake People Make During A Heatwave
One of the biggest mistakes I see is people trying to operate as though nothing has changed.
They expect themselves to train at the same intensity, achieve the same levels of productivity and perform exactly as they would on a cool spring day. When that doesn't happen, they become frustrated with themselves and start questioning their discipline.
I've taken a different approach this week.
I haven't felt guilty about being slightly less productive. I haven't tried to force productivity when the energy simply wasn't there. Instead, I've accepted the situation and adapted accordingly.
That might sound simple, but it's an important distinction.
There is a big difference between giving up and adjusting your approach.
How I've Adapted My Exercise And Nutrition This Week
Rather than trying to train at the same intensity regardless of the conditions, I've made some practical adjustments.
Where possible, I've trained earlier in the day when temperatures have been lower. I've spent more time exercising indoors where there is air conditioning available, and interestingly my Boxercise classes have actually worked better outside because the fresh air has often been more comfortable than being stuck in a hall with very little airflow.
I've also adjusted my nutrition slightly. I've been eating a little earlier in the evening, increasing my water intake throughout the day and using electrolytes where appropriate. I've even found that the occasional cold shower has provided some welcome relief, not just physically but mentally as well.
None of these changes are revolutionary.
They're practical, sensible adjustments that allow me to continue making progress without fighting against the conditions.
Why Adapting Beats Quitting
One of the biggest lessons I've learnt through coaching is that successful people don't stop when conditions become difficult.
They adapt.
The clients who achieve the best long-term results aren't the people who have perfect weeks every week. They're the people who understand that life changes constantly and know how to respond when it does.
Sometimes the challenge is work stress.
Sometimes it's poor sleep.
Sometimes it's family commitments.
And this week, for many people, it's simply been the heat.
The common theme is always the same. The people who continue moving forward are the people who focus on what they can control rather than becoming frustrated by what they can't.
Practical Ways To Stay Consistent During A Heatwave
If you've been struggling this week, here are a few simple things that can help:
• Increase your water intake throughout the day.
• Consider electrolytes if they're appropriate for your health circumstances.
• Prioritise sleep and recovery rather than trying to push harder.
• Train earlier or later in the day when temperatures are lower.
• Focus on consistency rather than personal bests.
• Make sensible nutrition choices and avoid relying on caffeine and sugary foods to get through the day.
Most importantly, stop expecting yourself to perform exactly as you would under completely different conditions.
The Real Lesson From This Week's Heatwave
The heatwave will pass, just like every challenge eventually does.
What matters is how you respond while it's here.
Health and fitness isn't about performing perfectly when conditions are ideal. It's about continuing to move forward when conditions aren't ideal. The people who achieve lasting success understand that progress isn't built during perfect weeks. It's built during the imperfect ones, when life becomes a little more challenging and they find a way to stay consistent anyway.
That's why my message this week is simple.
Adapt. Don't quit.
If you can adjust your expectations, focus on the fundamentals and continue taking positive action, you'll be in a far better position than someone who simply waits for perfect conditions to return.
I'd love to know whether you've noticed the recent heat affecting your energy, sleep, productivity or training, and what adjustments you've made to manage it.
If you're reading this and recognising some of these challenges in yourself, whether that's low energy, poor sleep, struggling with your nutrition, or simply feeling like your health has taken a back seat recently, you'll find plenty of practical resources, articles and guidance on my website.
My approach has always been about finding sustainable solutions that fit your lifestyle rather than expecting you to completely overhaul your life overnight. You can learn more by visiting www.jbryantcoaching.com.
No comments:
Post a Comment