Wednesday, 29 July 2026

How To Break the Tiredness Cycle

Why changing one choice could completely change your energy, your health and your weight loss journey.



A quick note before you read this newsletter. This newsletter is not aimed at people experiencing persistent fatigue, chronic tiredness or an underlying medical condition. If you've been feeling unusually tired for a prolonged period, or your tiredness doesn't have an obvious explanation, it's important to speak with your GP. 

This newsletter is for those days when you've had a poor night's sleep, life feels busy or stressful, and you've fallen into the habit of relying on another source of caffeine instead of addressing the sleep, movement and nutrition habits that could be contributing to how you're feeling.

If you're trying to lose weight or become healthier, there's a good chance you've experienced this before. You wake up after a poor night's sleep already feeling low on energy, you head into work or sit down at your desk at home, and before long you're reaching for another source of caffeine to get you through the morning. By lunchtime you're feeling sluggish, so you grab something quick and convenient because it's easy, and by the end of the working day the thought of going for a walk or heading to the gym feels like the last thing you want to do. Instead, you tell yourself you'll start tomorrow.

The problem is that tomorrow often looks exactly the same as today.

Over the years, both through my own experiences and by coaching clients, I've realised that most people don't struggle because they don't know what they should be doing. Almost everyone understands that eating better, moving more and getting enough sleep will improve their health. The real challenge is that when we're tired, we begin making decisions that keep us trapped in the very cycle we're trying to escape. One poor decision often leads to another, and before we realise it we're reinforcing habits that leave us feeling just as tired, if not more so, the following day.

Caffeine isn't the problem

Let's get one thing clear from the outset. I'm not against caffeine, and whether your preference is tea, coffee, an energy drink or another caffeinated drink, it certainly has its place. Used appropriately, caffeine can improve alertness and concentration. The problem isn't caffeine itself. The problem is that for many people it has become the automatic response every time energy levels begin to dip.

Think about how often you hear someone say, "I'm exhausted, I need caffeine." Very few of us stop to ask why we're actually feeling tired in the first place. Instead, we look for the quickest solution because it's convenient and requires very little thought. It's much easier to reach for a caffeinated drink than it is to consider whether we've spent the last four hours sitting down, skipped breakfast, eaten poorly, barely moved all day or simply haven't stepped outside into natural daylight.

Those habits don't provide an instant fix, whereas caffeine often feels like it does. The difficulty is that if we continually rely on caffeine without addressing the habits contributing to low energy, we're simply masking the symptoms rather than tackling the cause.

The day I nearly skipped the gym

Only recently I found myself having exactly the same internal conversation that many of my clients describe. I'd had a poor night's sleep and felt tired before the day had really begun. As I thought about going to the gym later that day, my mind immediately started producing excuses. I told myself I probably wouldn't train very well, that I wouldn't enjoy it and that there wasn't much point because I was too tired to have a decent workout anyway.

A few years ago, that conversation would probably have ended with me staying at home. This time was different because experience has taught me something incredibly valuable. I almost always feel better after I've moved.

The workout wasn't perfect, and it didn't need to be. I didn't lift heavier weights than usual, I didn't set any personal bests and I certainly didn't leave the gym thinking it was my greatest session ever. None of that mattered because the real victory wasn't the workout itself. The real victory was making the decision to go despite not feeling like it, because once I started moving everything else began to change.

Movement changes far more than your body

One of the biggest misconceptions about exercise is that it's only about burning calories. For me, one of the greatest benefits has very little to do with calories at all. As soon as I started moving, my thinking became more positive, the excuses I'd been telling myself disappeared and my mindset shifted. Instead of focusing on what I didn't feel like doing, I started focusing on what I'd achieved simply by showing up.

That change in mindset naturally carried over into the rest of my day. I was far more likely to make better nutritional choices because I'd already invested in myself through exercise. I became more productive with my work, my mood improved and I generally felt far more positive than I had earlier that morning. That's why I often say movement changes your state. It changes the conversations you have with yourself, and those conversations influence the decisions you make afterwards. One better decision naturally makes the next better decision easier.

Stop waiting until you feel motivated

One of the biggest myths in health and fitness is that motivation comes before action. Personally, I think it's usually the other way around. People often tell themselves they'll exercise once they feel motivated, but my experience has consistently shown that motivation is often created by taking action rather than waiting for it to appear.

I've skipped workouts in the past because I didn't feel like going, and I honestly can't remember many occasions where I felt better because I'd stayed at home. What I can remember are countless occasions where I've gone for a walk, completed a lighter gym session or simply got myself moving, and finished feeling significantly better than when I started.

Tony Robbins talks about the State Triangle, explaining that your physiology, your focus and your language all influence one another. Whether you're familiar with that concept or not, I see it happen time and time again. When you move, your posture changes, your breathing changes and your focus becomes more positive. As that happens, the conversations you have with yourself also change, making it much easier to make decisions that support your health rather than undermine it.

Breaking the cycle starts with one better choice

One of the biggest mistakes people make is believing they need to completely transform their lifestyle overnight. In reality, breaking the tiredness cycle often starts with one simple decision. It might be getting away from your desk for a fifteen-minute walk, stepping outside into natural daylight or choosing a nutritious meal instead of relying on highly processed convenience foods.

Personally, one of the reasons I often recommend a lower carbohydrate approach for many people trying to lose weight is because it can help reduce the dramatic energy peaks and crashes that leave people constantly searching for another source of caffeine. Combined with regular movement, good quality protein and simple daily habits, many people find they have steadier energy throughout the day and no longer feel as though they're constantly chasing the next quick fix.

None of these habits are revolutionary, but they don't need to be. Lasting change is rarely built on dramatic decisions. It's built on making slightly better choices consistently over time.

Change the choice. Change the outcome.

One of the biggest lessons I've learnt over the years is that your future is rarely changed by one huge decision. It's shaped by the small decisions you make every single day. The next time you catch yourself reaching for another source of caffeine, telling yourself you'll exercise tomorrow or convincing yourself that today's healthy choices can wait until Monday, stop for a moment and ask yourself one simple question.

"What's one thing I can do in the next fifteen minutes that will leave me feeling better than I do right now?"

For some people the answer will be going for a walk. For others it might be a lighter gym session, while someone else may simply need to step away from their desk and spend a few minutes outside. Whatever your answer is, make the better choice because better choices become better habits, better habits become your lifestyle and your lifestyle ultimately determines your health.

If you're struggling to lose weight, improve your energy or build healthier habits that actually last, remember that lasting change doesn't begin with the perfect diet or the perfect workout. It begins by changing the conversations you have with yourself and making one better choice than the one you were about to make.

That's exactly what I help my coaching clients do. Together, we change the habits, the mindset and the daily decisions that lead to sustainable weight loss, better health and more energy, without relying on motivation alone.

If you're ready to stop starting over every Monday and begin building habits that genuinely last, visit J Bryant Coaching and find out how we can work together to change the choice and change the outcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment