A couple of weeks ago, I became ill.
Some people would say I was simply unlucky, and perhaps they're right. I can't say with certainty why I became ill, and I'm certainly not suggesting that the habits I'm about to talk about were the sole reason.
What I do know is that becoming ill forced me to stop and take an honest look at how I'd been looking after myself over the previous few months.
If I'm being completely honest, I'd gradually allowed a number of small habits to slip.
I was going to bed a little later than I should have been. Having a young child means sleep isn't always within your control, and there were plenty of evenings where David didn't settle as early as we'd hoped. That naturally meant I was going to bed later, only to be up early again the following morning to get him ready for nursery.
On top of that, I'd started having sources of caffeine later in the day than I normally would. My nutrition wasn't poor by any means, but it certainly wasn't where I know it should have been. I found myself choosing convenience a little more often, eating fewer vegetables than usual and generally drifting away from the habits that normally help me feel at my best.
None of those things seemed particularly significant on their own, and that's probably the biggest lesson I've taken away from this experience.
Good Health Rarely Changes Overnight
More often than not, it's the result of lots of small decisions that gradually move us either towards better health or away from it. Looking back, I don't think there was one defining moment where everything suddenly went wrong. Instead, there were a series of small compromises that slowly became my new normal, simply because life had become busy.
I think that's something many people can relate to.
Small Habits Have A Way Of Adding Up
One of the biggest misconceptions people have is that it's the big decisions that determine their health. In reality, I think it's often the opposite. Missing one hour of sleep isn't likely to have a huge impact. Having a source of caffeine slightly later one afternoon probably won't make much difference. Choosing a convenient meal instead of cooking from scratch on one occasion isn't going to transform your health either.
The problem comes when those individual decisions stop being occasional and quietly become everyday habits.
Before long, you're sleeping a little less every night, relying on caffeine a little more than you used to and putting less thought into your nutrition because you're trying to fit everything else into an already busy day. None of those changes feel particularly dramatic, which is exactly why they're so easy to ignore. Over time, though, they begin to compound, and that's when you start noticing that your energy isn't quite what it used to be or that you're simply not feeling your best.
Looking back now, I don't think I noticed those changes because they happened gradually. It wasn't until I became ill and was forced to stop that I had the opportunity to look back and recognise just how much those small habits had drifted over the previous two or three months.
Being Ill Made Me Stop And Think
One of the most frustrating parts about being ill wasn't simply feeling unwell. It was the fact that, for three or four days, I couldn't perform at the standard I expect of myself. My energy levels were low, I didn't really feel like eating and even when I did eat, I often felt bloated afterwards. Everything felt harder than it normally would.
Instead of trying to push through it, I had to go back to basics.
Sleep became a priority. Drinking enough water became a priority. Whatever I did eat needed to be as nutritious as possible because my body was clearly telling me it needed time to recover. Fortunately, because I'm already used to intermittent fasting, not eating for longer periods didn't feel particularly difficult, but the whole experience reminded me that when your health isn't where you want it to be, the simple habits suddenly become the most important ones.
During those few days, I found myself asking a question that I probably should have asked much sooner.
"What could I have been doing better?"
That question changed everything.
Rather than looking for one reason why I'd become ill, I started looking at the collection of small habits I'd gradually allowed to slip. Sleep, hydration, nutrition and caffeine timing all came under the spotlight, and I realised that although none of them had seemed particularly important at the time, together they had moved me away from the standards I'd previously set for myself.
The Changes I've Already Started Making
One thing becoming very clear to me is that I don't need to completely reinvent my lifestyle. I don't need a brand-new diet, an extreme fitness programme or another complicated morning routine. What I need is to get back to consistently doing the simple things that I know work for me.
That starts with protecting my sleep as much as possible. While I can't control everything that comes with having a young child, I can certainly make more of an effort to get David to bed earlier where possible so that I have time to unwind before going to bed myself. It won't always happen, and I'm realistic enough to know that, but having the intention is far better than simply accepting poor sleep as part of everyday life.
I've also become much more aware of my hydration because it's one of the easiest habits to overlook when life gets busy. Alongside that, I'm making a conscious effort to keep my caffeine intake earlier in the day, aiming to finish by around eleven o'clock wherever possible so that I'm naturally ready to sleep when the evening comes around.
Nutrition is another area I've started paying much closer attention to. My diet wasn't terrible before I became ill, but I know it could have been much better. I'm making a deliberate effort to include more vegetables with my meals and batch cook more often so that healthy eating becomes the easiest option rather than something I have to think about after a busy day.
Perhaps the biggest lesson from all of this is that I don't believe one of those habits will suddenly transform my health on its own. It's the combination of all of them working together that makes the difference. Small improvements, repeated consistently over time, will always have a greater impact than searching for one perfect solution.
Why Waiting Until You're Ill Is Often Too Late
As I reflected on everything that had happened, one thought kept coming back to me. I don't think I'm alone in this. I think many busy professionals and parents find themselves in exactly the same position. We become so focused on looking after everyone else that we gradually stop looking after ourselves.
There's nothing wrong with wanting to provide for your family, build a business or progress your career. Those things matter, and they deserve your time and attention. The problem comes when your own health quietly slips further and further down the priority list. Eventually, you're running on empty, and when you're running on empty, you have less energy, less patience and less capacity to give to the people who matter most.
Ironically, by neglecting ourselves, we often become less able to help others.
I also think many people wait until something forces them to change. Sometimes that's a minor illness like I experienced. For others, it might be persistent tiredness, a health scare or simply reaching the point where they no longer recognise the person looking back at them in the mirror.
The reality is that our bodies often give us warning signs long before they force us to stop. We begin sleeping a little less, relying on more caffeine, moving less, eating more convenience foods and convincing ourselves that it's simply part of being busy. None of those warning signs feel particularly serious on their own, but over time they compound, and that's when we begin noticing the consequences.
You Don't Need To Change Everything At Once
One of the biggest mistakes I see people make is believing they need to completely overhaul their lifestyle before they'll see any results. They think they need the perfect meal plan, a brand-new gym programme and hours of spare time before they can improve their health.
I don't believe that's true.
If this experience has taught me anything, it's that lasting change doesn't come from trying to fix everything at once. It comes from identifying the one habit that will have the biggest impact on your life right now and giving that your attention first.
For one person, that might be improving their sleep. For someone else, it could be drinking more water.
Another person might benefit most from planning their meals better or simply committing to a fifteen-minute walk each day.
The habit itself isn't the important part.
The important part is choosing the habit that's most relevant to your current situation and becoming consistent with it before trying to add something else. Once that habit becomes automatic, you can build on it. That's how real, sustainable change happens. Not through perfection, but through habit stacking and gradually becoming the type of person who naturally makes healthier choices.
A Simple Question We Should All Ask Ourselves
One habit I'm going to continue after this experience has nothing to do with nutrition or exercise.
It's a weekly check-in. At the end of each week, I'm simply going to ask myself one question.
"Am I okay?" Not, "How much do I weigh?" Not, "Did I have the perfect week?" Just, "Am I okay?"
If the answer is yes, then I'll keep doing what's working. If the answer is no, the next question becomes, "What needs to change?"
That change might be getting to bed thirty minutes earlier. It might be drinking more water. It might be reducing my caffeine intake or making time to prepare healthier meals. Whatever the answer is, I'll focus on that one thing instead of trying to solve ten problems at once.
I think we often overcomplicate health because we're constantly searching for the next big breakthrough, when in reality the answer is usually hidden in the simple habits we've gradually stopped doing.
The Lessson I'll Take Forward
Looking back, I don't regret becoming ill because it forced me to pause and reassess what was really important. It reminded me that health isn't something you build once and then forget about. It's something you protect every day through the standards you set for yourself and the habits you choose to repeat.
The biggest lesson I've taken from this experience isn't that I need to work less or train harder. It's that I need to be more intentional with the basics that have always served me well. Better sleep where possible, staying hydrated, being more mindful of when I consume caffeine, eating more vegetables and planning meals in advance aren't revolutionary ideas, but together they create the foundations that allow me to perform at my best.
If there's one thing I'd like you to take away from my experience, it's this.
Don't wait until your body forces you to stop before you start looking after it.
Take five minutes this week to honestly assess how you're doing. Ask yourself whether the habits you're currently repeating are taking you closer to the person you want to become or further away from them. Then choose one thing that would make the biggest difference to your health right now and commit to improving it.
You don't need to change everything today. You just need to start with the one thing that matters most to you.
Ready To Improve Your Health & Fitness One Habit At A Time?
If you're trying to lose weight, improve your energy or build healthier habits that fit around a busy lifestyle, that's exactly what I help my clients do. Together, we focus on the changes that are most relevant to you, build them into your routine and create a healthier lifestyle that's sustainable for the long term rather than relying on willpower or quick fixes.
If you'd like to find out more about my coaching programmes, visit www.jbryantcoaching.com and discover how small, consistent changes can lead to lasting results.
Until next time,
John
No comments:
Post a Comment