Wednesday, 17 June 2026

Why More Health Information Isn't Helping You Lose Weight


You may have noticed that the World Cup has started.

For some people, that sentence alone is enough to get them excited. They'll know the fixtures, they'll have already predicted who is going to win it, and they'll be planning their evenings around kick-off times. For others, it barely registers. In fact, they may not even realise it has started.

What surprised me this time around was that I found myself sitting somewhere in the middle.

I've always loved football. I've travelled to matches, watched games religiously, and looked forward to major tournaments. Yet when this World Cup started, I found myself feeling strangely apathetic towards it. The first full game I watched wasn't because I'd been counting down the days until kick-off. It happened to be a Sunday evening, there wasn't much else going on, and the match was on at a convenient time.

That got me thinking.

The problem wasn't that I'd stopped enjoying football. It was that football is everywhere. There are Premier League matches, Champions League matches, international games, podcasts, YouTube channels, social media clips, highlights, tactical breakdowns, and endless opinions from people who all seem convinced they have the answer. Add in a World Cup that has expanded from 32 teams to 48 teams, and suddenly there's more football available than ever before.

Yet somehow it feels less special.

The more I thought about it, the more I realised the exact same thing is happening in health and fitness.

We Have More Health Information Than Ever Before


If someone wanted to lose weight twenty years ago, they might have bought a magazine, read a book, or spoken to a coach. Information existed, but it wasn't constantly competing for their attention.

Today, things are very different.

Open your phone and within minutes you'll find hundreds of people telling you the best way to lose weight. One expert tells you to count calories. Another says calories don't matter. One person tells you to train fasted. Another insists you need breakfast before you even think about exercise. One person recommends low-carb eating. Another recommends high-carb eating. Someone else says intermittent fasting is the answer. Then another tells you it's unnecessary.

The result is that many people consume more health and fitness information in a week than previous generations consumed in years.

Yet despite having access to more information than ever before, many people still struggle with weight loss, low energy, poor health, lack of confidence, and inconsistent healthy habits.

Why?

Because information isn't the problem.

Knowing What To Do Isn't The Same As Doing It

One of the biggest mistakes people make is assuming that knowledge automatically creates change.

Most people already know they should drink more water. They know they should move more. They know they should eat more nutritious foods, prioritise sleep, and reduce the amount of highly processed food they consume. The challenge isn't knowing these things exist. The challenge is consistently applying them.

I often hear people say things like, "I should exercise more," or "I should eat better," or "I should probably get to bed earlier."

The problem is that they spend so much time telling themselves what they should do that they never actually start doing it.

Knowing and doing are not the same thing.

You can watch videos about nutrition every day. You can listen to podcasts about fat loss on your commute. You can read books about healthy habits before bed. None of those things will improve your health unless you take action on what you've learned.

That's where many people get stuck.

The Biggest Lie People Tell Themselves

Another thing I hear regularly is the phrase, "I've tried everything."

In reality, most people haven't.

If somebody had genuinely tried every approach available to them, they probably would have found something that worked. What has usually happened is that they've tried a handful of strategies, discovered they didn't fit their lifestyle, and then created a story around that experience.

The story becomes, "Nothing works for me."

Once that story takes hold, it becomes very difficult to move forward because every new opportunity is viewed through the lens of previous disappointment.

What I often find is that people haven't tried everything. They've tried a few things, become frustrated, and then stopped looking for solutions that fit their life.

There's a huge difference.

The Difference Between Scientific Truth And Personal Truth

This is where things become interesting.

I believe in science. I believe in research. I believe evidence should guide our decisions. At the same time, I also believe that practical application matters.

Take fasted training as an example.

You'll find studies supporting it. You'll find studies questioning it. You'll find experts arguing both sides of the debate.

Personally, I train fasted most of the time.

Not because I think everyone should do it. Not because I believe it's some magic solution. I do it because it works for my lifestyle.

As a business owner and a dad, I've found that skipping breakfast simplifies my mornings. I don't have to think about preparing food before training. I can get David ready, get on with my day, and still train effectively. I've experimented with it, I've gathered my own feedback, and I've found it works for me.

That's my personal truth.

Someone else's situation may be completely different.

The best weight loss strategy, nutrition plan, or exercise programme isn't necessarily the one that looks perfect on paper. It's the one that fits your lifestyle well enough that you can follow it consistently.

That's what creates sustainable weight loss and long-term health improvements.

Watching Football Highlights Doesn't Improve Your Fitness

This is probably the biggest lesson I took from reflecting on the World Cup.

Watching football highlights isn't the same as playing football.

Consuming health content isn't the same as improving your health.

Listening to a fitness podcast isn't the same as exercising.

Reading about nutrition isn't the same as changing your eating habits.

Learning feels productive because it gives us the impression we're moving forward. In reality, many people are simply standing still while convincing themselves they're making progress.

The people who benefit most from football aren't the spectators. They're the participants.

The same applies to health and fitness.

The people who make the biggest changes are rarely the ones consuming the most information. They're the ones applying what they already know.

Simplicity Still Wins

One of the most powerful coaching lessons I've learned is that small changes often create the biggest results.

I once worked with someone who had struggled with poor sleep for years. When we looked at her routine in more detail, we discovered she was drinking decaffeinated tea and coffee in the evening, assuming it contained no caffeine whatsoever.

One small adjustment later and her sleep improved dramatically.

That improved sleep gave her more energy. More energy helped her make better food choices. Better food choices improved consistency. Better consistency improved results.

All because of one relatively small change.

That's why I encourage people to focus on the next right thing rather than trying to change everything at once.

You don't need a perfect plan.

You need a plan you can follow.

What Actually Matters?

If someone asked me to simplify health and fitness as much as possible, I'd focus on three areas.

First, nutrition. The food you eat has a huge impact on your weight loss goals, energy levels, body composition, and long-term health.

Second, physical activity. Whether that's strength training, walking, swimming, football, Boxercise, or something else entirely doesn't matter as much as people think. What matters is that you do it consistently.

Third, recovery. Sleep, stress management, and recovery habits are often overlooked, yet they play a huge role in your ability to stay healthy, energised, and focused.

Most successful health journeys are built around these three pillars. The details matter, but the fundamentals matter more.

A Challenge For You

For the next two weeks, stop looking for more information.

Don't search for another diet.

Don't buy another fitness book.

Don't spend hours watching health content on social media.

Instead, pick one thing you already know would improve your health and do it consistently for fourteen days.

Drink more water.

Go for a daily walk.

Improve your sleep.

Increase your protein intake.

Prepare your lunches.

Whatever feels most relevant to you.

At the end of those two weeks, you'll have feedback. Either it helped, or it didn't. Both outcomes are useful because they move you closer to understanding what works for your lifestyle.

The World Cup reminded me of something important.

More content doesn't always create more value.

Whether it's football, business, weight loss, nutrition, or health and fitness, the people who make the greatest progress are rarely the ones consuming the most information.

They're the ones putting it into practice.

John

No comments:

Post a Comment