Wednesday, 16 September 2026

The Dangerous Story Keeping You Stuck With Weight Loss

⁣

⁣


Why “I Don’t Have Time” Might Be The Reason Nothing Changes⁣

One of the biggest things that keeps people stuck when it comes to weight loss is not always their diet, their exercise plan or even their motivation. Quite often, it is the story they keep telling themselves.⁣

You might say, “I don’t have time to exercise.” You might say, “I don’t have the energy to cook properly.” You might say, “It is too difficult with work, kids, family life and everything else going on.” On the surface, those things can sound completely reasonable, and in many cases, there will be some truth in them. 

Life can be busy. Parenting can be hard. Work can be stressful. Energy can be low.⁣

The problem is that by the time you say those words out loud, there is a good chance you have already said them to yourself internally 20, 30 or 40 times. Eventually, that internal language becomes more than a passing thought. It becomes your story. Once it becomes your story, it starts shaping your behaviour, and once it shapes your behaviour, it can become a self-fulfilling prophecy.⁣

It is a bit like someone walking into an exam saying, “I don’t know why I am even doing this because I am going to fail.” If they repeat that story enough times, they are unlikely to prepare properly, unlikely to feel confident and unlikely to perform at their best. Then, if they do fail, it almost proves the story right in their mind.⁣

Weight loss can work in a very similar way.⁣

If you keep telling yourself that you do not have time, eventually you stop looking for time. If you keep telling yourself that it is too difficult, eventually you stop looking for ways to make it easier. If you keep telling yourself that you do not have the motivation, eventually you stop asking what would actually make the goal important enough to act on.⁣

The Story You Tell Yourself Changes The Actions You Take⁣

This is where I think a lot of people underestimate the power of their own language. The words you use with yourself matter because they influence what you believe is possible.⁣

If your story is, “I don’t have time because I have kids,” then your children become the reason you cannot exercise, eat better or look after your health. That does not mean you do not love them or that you are making excuses in a lazy way. It simply means the story you are telling yourself is pointing you in a direction where your health keeps being moved further down the list.⁣

However, if your story changes to, “I need to look after myself because I have kids,” everything feels different. The same responsibilities are still there. The school runs, childcare, work, meals, housework and lack of quiet time have not magically disappeared. What has changed is the meaning you have given those responsibilities.⁣

One story keeps you stuck. The other gives you a reason to act.⁣

This is something I realised very quickly myself after becoming a parent. Within a few days, I remember thinking that I needed to keep looking after myself properly because I wanted to be in the best possible place for my partner and my child. 

At first, that can almost feel selfish because you are taking time for yourself when there are so many other things that need doing. But actually, when you are healthier, fitter, stronger and in a better place mentally, you are usually able to give more to the people around you.⁣

That is a very different mindset from saying, “I don’t have time for this.”⁣

It becomes, “I make time for this because of them.”⁣

Stop Shoulding All Over Yourself⁣

One phrase I think is worth paying attention to is, “I should.”⁣

“I should exercise.”⁣

“I should eat better.”⁣

“I should lose some weight.”⁣

“I should get back into a routine.”⁣

The problem with “should” is that it often carries no real commitment. It sounds like something you know would be good for you, but it does not always create action. It leaves plenty of room for negotiation, delay and justification. 

You can say you should exercise, but then also tell yourself you are tired, too busy or that tomorrow would be a better day to start.⁣

That is why the language often needs to change.⁣

There is a big difference between saying, “I should exercise,” and saying, “I must look after my health because I want to be around, active and energetic for the people who matter to me.”⁣

There is a big difference between saying, “I really could do with losing weight,” and asking, “How can I lose weight, enjoy the process and make it fit into my lifestyle?”⁣

The second version forces you to look for a solution. It does not ignore the challenges of your life, but it does stop you using those challenges as the reason nothing changes.⁣

That is where smarter questions become so important. If you ask a basic question, you often get a basic answer. If the question is simply, “How do I lose weight?” the answer might be to eat less and move more. But that does not tell you whether the approach will fit your life, whether you will enjoy it, whether it will help you feel better or whether you can maintain it in the long term.⁣

A better question creates a better answer.⁣

Start With Something You Already Do Every Day⁣

When people feel stuck, they often assume the answer is to add more. More gym sessions, more cardio, more structure, more rules and more pressure. The problem is that if you already feel like you have no time, adding several new demands into your week can make everything feel even more overwhelming.⁣

That is why, for many people, I would start with nutrition.⁣

Not because exercise does not matter, because of course it does, but because eating is something you are already doing every day. You do not need to find an extra hour just to begin improving your food choices. You can start by changing the quality of what you are already eating.⁣

That might mean reducing the processed crap and focusing more on real food. It might mean swapping white pasta for brown pasta or white bread for brown bread if that is an appropriate step for you. It might mean preparing more nutritious meals, including more protein, adding more vegetables or doing some batch cooking so that better food is ready when life gets busy.⁣

Batch cooking is a really good example because it does not just help your nutrition. It can save time, energy and money as well. If you have food ready to go, you are less likely to rely on whatever is quickest when you are tired, hungry and already feeling stretched.⁣

This is important because once you start eating better, other things often start to improve. You may feel less hungry. You may snack less. You may sleep better. You may feel less stressed because you are not constantly making last-minute decisions around food. You may also start to feel like you have a little more control over your day.⁣

Then the story begins to change.⁣ Instead of saying, “I don’t have time,” you might start thinking, “Actually, I can do this.”⁣

Small Steps Beat All Or Nothing⁣

One of the reasons people struggle with weight loss is because they go from doing very little to trying to change everything at once. They decide that from Monday they are going to train four times a week, eat perfectly, drink more water, sleep better, stop snacking, cook every meal from scratch and completely overhaul their lifestyle.⁣

That might work for a few days, but for most people it becomes too much very quickly.⁣

The issue is not that those habits are bad. Many of them are very good habits. The issue is trying to introduce all of them at the same time, especially when life is already busy. When the plan becomes too difficult, it becomes unenjoyable. When it becomes unenjoyable, motivation drops. Once motivation drops, people often go back to the story they were telling themselves in the first place.⁣

“I knew I didn’t have time.”⁣

“I knew this would be too hard.”⁣

“I knew I wouldn’t stick to it.”⁣

That is why small steps matter. You do not need to change your whole life in a week. You need to build habits that can become part of your lifestyle. That might start with improving one meal, preparing food twice a week, going for a walk after work, training twice instead of four times, or getting to bed slightly earlier.⁣

Once one habit becomes easier, you can add another. That is how you create progress without making life feel impossible.⁣

Waiting For The Right Time Can Make Things Worse⁣

Another mistake people make is waiting for the perfect time to start. They tell themselves they will begin when work calms down, when the kids are older, when they have more energy, when January arrives or when life feels less stressful.⁣

The problem is that life rarely gives you a perfect starting point.⁣

While you are waiting, the habits that are keeping you stuck can become more ingrained. You might gain more weight, lose more fitness, feel more tired and become even more disconnected from the version of yourself you want to be. Then, when you finally decide to act, the whole thing feels much bigger and more overwhelming than it needed to be.⁣

This is why waiting can be dangerous. It feels like you are being sensible because you are waiting for the right time, but in reality, you may simply be delaying the first small step that would make everything easier later on.⁣

You do not need the perfect week to begin looking after your health. You do not need your diary to be empty. You do not need life to be calm. You just need to ask a better question.⁣

“How do I make this work with the life I have now?”⁣

That question is far more useful than waiting for a completely different life to appear.⁣

Change The Story And You Change The Standard⁣

The story you tell yourself eventually becomes the standard you live by. If your story is that you do not have time, your actions will reflect that. If your story is that looking after your health is something you must do because of the people who depend on you, your actions are far more likely to change.⁣

This does not mean pretending life is easy. It does not mean ignoring the fact that parenting, work and family responsibilities can be challenging. It simply means you stop allowing those things to become the reason you do nothing.⁣

You can still be busy and make better food choices.⁣

You can still have children and find small windows for movement.⁣

You can still have responsibilities and decide that your health matters.⁣

You can still start with one small change rather than waiting until you feel ready to change everything.⁣

That is the real shift.⁣

It is not just about time management. It is about identity. It is about becoming the type of person who looks after themselves because they understand the impact it has on their future and the people around them.⁣

Final Thoughts⁣

If you have been telling yourself that you do not have time to lose weight, exercise or look after your health, it might be time to challenge that story.⁣

Instead of saying, “I don’t have time,” ask yourself, “How do I make time?”⁣

Instead of saying, “It is too difficult,” ask yourself, “How do I make this work for me?”⁣

Instead of saying, “I need to lose weight,” ask yourself, “How can I lose weight, enjoy the process and make it fit into my lifestyle?”⁣

Those questions create a completely different starting point. They move you away from excuses and towards solutions. They help you focus on small steps rather than all-or-nothing change. They also remind you that this is not about trying to be perfect for a few weeks. It is about building habits that support the person you want to become.⁣

Your health does not improve because you wait for the perfect time.⁣

It improves because you start changing the story, one decision at a time.⁣

If you are ready to lose weight, improve your energy and build healthier habits in a way that fits around real life, visit www.jbryantcoaching.com to find out more about my coaching programmes.

No comments:

Post a Comment