Do you have the right habits for what you want to achieve? Do you spend time developing habits for the future?
Recently I have been listening to the audio book The Compound Effect by Darren Hardy. In it he talks about how our habits today seem inconsequential today, but compounded over many weeks and months and it has dramatic effects on what the future will be.
Take the example of health, if you were to eat an excess of 200 calories a day for a whole year, and made no other changes, you could expect to put on around 1.8 stone (11.8kg) in weight, most likely in fat. Habits tend to start small and then get bigger over time and you then develop more as you go along.
So when it comes to wanting to better your health, starting small is going to be key. "But I want it all now!" I hear you say. Most of you would have had goals to improve your health at the start of the year, and some of you may have stopped just 8 weeks in to 2021.
What would be the likely cause is that you set the goal too big and you were not seeing the benefits and therefore gave up. Whereas had you set smaller, easier to attain goals to start with you would got into the habits easier and established them.
That is why when the gyms open in the UK in 6 weeks or so, now is the time to develop the positive habits. I have added running to my routine of cycling so that I can compound the benefits of getting more and varied exercise.
Good examples for you to start with would be replacing the chocolate with fruit or replace sitting on the couch by getting out and starting some exercise, be it a long walk or a slow job.
Start small. Get the wins. Build upon it. Achieve goals!

No comments:
Post a Comment